In 2008 an earthquake devastated homes and schools in the Shaanxi province, a remote area of northwest China.  The following year, the INTO China office asked INTO Giving to help with the rebuilding of one of these primary schools and in 2009 INTO Giving started fundraising to build a primary school to replace the one destroyed in Liangou village.

Schools are essential if children are to receive an education and the chance of a brighter future.  At the beginning of 2010, INTO Giving agreed to fund 80%, of the costs to build the new school and a three-way contract was signed with the local government authority and the Chinese HOPE Project.  The local authority provided the other 20% and undertook the building of the school.  The HOPE charity managed the project, providing regular updates to INTO Giving and checking that each stage was completed to the agreed standards before releasing funds.



Making a Difference

The school was completed in October 2010 and in March 2011 the newly named INTO HOPE Primary School was officially opened with a colourful ceremony of dancing and singing by local children.

Four INTO representatives from INTO China, INTO Queen's University Belfast and INTO UEA London travelled to Liangou to attend the event, meet the children, the school staff, members of the local government and the Project Hope team, bringing with them stationery, sports equipment and school bags for the teachers and pupils.

The school principal and pupils expressed their approval of the new school, commenting particularly on how the numerous classrooms and spacious layout, created a much better teaching and learning environment.  The pupils themselves felt a renewed interest in school and a greater motivation to learn.

Project Photos

Get Involved How to volunteer, donate or get fundraising


Every penny you donate goes directly to our global family of education projects.

All of it.



Donate nowtrending_flat


Want to know how to fundraise? Check out our US and UK 'How-to' kits.

How-to kitstrending_flat


Volunteer your skills and a bit of your time.

Get involvedtrending_flat